Veterans of Foreign Wars Adrian Kaup Post #4912

Shared by NVH Account on July 16, 2013

 

Post 4912 was formally installed December 5, 1945, in the meeting rooms above the old Farmers and Merchants Bank on 116 North Main at the encourage­ment of Harold Henke and Robert Oswald. The post was named for Adrian Kaup, first local serviceman to lose his life in World War II. The charter remained open until March 5,1946. There were 112 charter members.

Meetings were above the bank until November 1946 when they and the American Legion established the Veterans Club. It was located above the old Coast to Coast store on South Main, and first opened for business on Veterans Day, November 11, 1946. They met there a few months then moved to meeting rooms above the old fire station on East Park Street. The move enabled them to cook and have dinner meetings. They met there until 1950 when they met in the city auditorium at 237 North Main Street.

In June 10,1954, they began meeting at their new building at 246 South Main Street. At first there was no food except for special occasions and meeting nights. Eventually they served food on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, a policy that continues today.

The club was completely destroyed by fire early on the morning of December 14, 1982, It was rebuilt and continues to serve today.

Throughout the years the post has been active in youth and community programs and patriotic obser­vances. They sponsored midget football, gave Christmas baskets, established the Avenue of Flags and donated to charitable causes such as the local hospital and public library. They operate a food stand at the county fair. In addition they are of service to veterans and their fami­lies

Share a Story

 
Illustrate your story with a picture, music or video (optional):