his Life

David's Life / 古風生平

Dr. Gu-Fung David Tsuei was born in Taipei, Taiwan, on July 8, 1952, and passed on August 31, 2020. He was the eldest of four brothers. David excelled academically from an early age and later earned an Electrical Engineering degree from National Cheng Kung University (NCKU). He met his future wife, Tyng-Jen Jane Tsuei, whom he met and pursued passionately in his third year at NCKU until they were joyfully married in 1978.
After graduating from NCKU, David served for two years with the Taiwan Air Force. He left for the United States in 1976 to pursue his graduate studies. His early years in the United States were not easy. He landed in Boston first, and then moved to New York, during which time he worked odd jobs and washed dishes to support himself. He earned his Master’s degree at SUNY Stonybrook and went on to the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque (UNM) for his doctoral studies.
David struggled and persevered in New Mexico, often lacking the resources and supplies needed for his lab experiments, and sometimes did not have enough money to pay for a good meal. Once, he went fishing in a public lake and caught several fish, which he explained as a possible blessing from God to help him through hard times. 

Through these challenging times, David wrote letters to Jane regularly—those letters were full of love. They married in 1978 in Taiwan and returned together to New Mexico for David to continue work on his doctorate. Their daughter, Anne, was born in 1982. David graduated with his Ph.D. in 1984.
David and his young family then moved to California, where his son, James, was born in 1986. There, David had a long career in the semiconductor design industry and earned numerous patents. He raised his family with love and care and taught his children the value of hard work and discipline. He lived his life by the words he spoke and tried never to talk ill of others. He loved God and was deeply spiritual throughout his life. 
After a long struggle against poor health, David passed away peacefully and without pain, surrounded by his family, on August 31, 2020. He is survived by his wife and two children and by his community in Christ.