Let the memory of Jack be with us forever
  • 77 years old
  • Born on April 12, 1928 in Reisel, Texas, United States.
  • Passed away on January 17, 2006 in Thatcher, Arizona, United States.
This memorial website was created in memory of our loved one, Jack Busby 77 years old , born on April 12, 1928 and passed away on January 17, 2006. We will remember him forever.
Posted by Robert Busby on 12th April 2019
Today is Dad's 91st birthday
Posted by Robert Busby on 3rd January 2019
Remembering my Father after all these years.
Posted by Robert Busby on 12th April 2018
My father was and is a good man who was and is still loved and appreciated by all who knew him. Happy Birthday Dad
Posted by Robert Busby on 17th January 2018
Remembering Dad
Posted by Robert Busby on 12th April 2017
It is amazing how time flies, how can it have been eleven years since my dad passed? Even though dad has been gone he is remembered by me daily and by many others often. Remembering family is the way we keep them alive, dad was and is loved and appreciated for all he did for everyone - Love Ya Dad
Posted by Robert Busby on 12th April 2016
Remembering my father on his birthday - Happy Special Day Dad
Posted by Robert Busby on 21st June 2015
Remembering my dad on fathers day 2015 - glad we had some fun times over the years.
Posted by Robert Busby on 12th April 2015
It is hard to believe my father Jack Dempsey Busby died nine years ago and that here we are at another date to celebrate his life. My father was a great Dad and did his best to take care of his family, he was and is loved by all who knew him. Smiling since I know Dad is keeping tabs on all of us from where ever he is.
Posted by Robert Busby on 17th January 2015
THE LONELY ONE DOLLAR BILL When I was sixteen and working as a lifeguard at the Kiwanas Pool in Waco, Texas, I had my own money for my expenses. It was so nice to be able to buy gas for my car, eat out when ever I wanted, and not have to depend on money given to me by my parents. Somehow it did not bother me at the time to be living and eating at home for free. Ha Ha. One day while on break from the swimming pool, I drove to a very nice but casual seafood restaurant located in the neighborhood. I had the best lunch and was having such a great day until I reached for my wallet to pay for my lunch. Pulled my wallet out of my back pocket and reached into the compartment that held my money only to find a single dollar bill. I did not have the wallet out where others and I could see it, that would be tacky I thought. All of a sudden my happy independent day turned to crap with thoughts of what happened to my money. How was I going to pay for lunch with a one-dollar bill? The waitress came by and asked if there was anything else I needed, I not wanting to give away the fact that I was broke, ordered desert! Then I put my wallet back in my pocket with that one lonely dollar bill and thought about how I was going to get out of this situation. After four cups of coffee and one slice of cheesecake, and five more dollars in debt that I did not have, I decided I would have to call my father for help. Dad worked just down the street at the Waco Paint Center and could easily help me out. I had a hard time with this decision to call for help since I was trying to break away from the parent child situation. Thoughts of having to do dishes to pay for lunch, being embarrassed in front of the waitress by not being able to pay for lunch, made me realize I should be happy I had someone I could call for help. I made my way to the pay phone; at least I had a quarter to make a call. I called Dad and told him I was just down the street having lunch and had left my money at home and needed him to come pay for my lunch. Dad was real nice about it, said he would be right over and not to worry. Several minutes later Dad showed up and came to the table and assured me he was happy to help me out. The waitress came by and Dad ordered coffee so as not to give away my problem. I was real happy that Dad did not talk down to me or make it obvious to everyone about what happened. In fact Dad never told anyone about the incident that I am aware of. We had coffee and talked about school, my job, his job and the fact that we were both happy we could call each other when we were in trouble. Not that Dad ever needed any help from me, but it was nice that he mentioned he could depend on me. Dad and I left the restaurant and headed back to our respective places of work. As I got into my car I was still trying to figure out what happened to my money. I pulled my wallet out and opened it to look into the money compartment. As I looked into the compartment that held that one lonely dollar bill, a smile came across my face and I turned solid red. The lonely dollar bill in my wallet was in fact a lonely Twenty-dollar bill. I had sufficient funds to cover the meal all along. I did not tell my father about this for at least twenty years! If you have not guessed it, my fiction is my reality...
Posted by Robert Busby on 17th January 2015
Fishing with Dad In the 1960’s (1966-1969) Dad and his partner at the Waco Paint Center, Charley, decided they were going to be fisherman. The two of them had been getting together to go fishing somewhere in the local area for several months when Dad announced they were going to buy a fishing boat! Mother and Carla, my sister, never added their memories of the fishing events of 1966 through 1969, would have been nice if they had since I do not seem to remember all the details. Now that I think back on those days it may be that we had been going to Lake Whitney near Dallas on weekends and those trips got Dad interested in fishing. We were going to Whitney to stay at the Browns Lodge and later to stay at the Braun Lodge for what seemed like forever (another story). These weekend jaunts had nothing to do with fishing and more to do with Dad and Mother and their friends renting a cabin from Friday through Sunday to socialize and play cards while I was more into girls and the pool. Carla was there but am not sure what she was up to or what she did way back then and that is why her remembrances of these trips would be nice. At the time all this fishing was going on I had just entered high school (I was an athlete [Richfield Rams - Waco - Texas Football] and not a sportsman) and fishing was not in my plans for weekends or so I thought. As I mentioned the part of the fishing I was most involved in was the trips to the Lake Whitney area, the pool and the girls. Dad ask me if I would like to go with him to do some fishing while he tested out a fishing boat and I of course had to say yes just to make Dad happy, even though I was having flash backs of our one time on a dove hunting trip that was interesting but strange (Pigeons were involved) to say the least, but that is another story. Dad did try and get me out from in front of the TV and out and about in the sportsman world every chance he got. All I can remember is sitting in a flat bottom boat in a small lake near the Owens Illinois Glass Plant club house with dad and me trying to catch fish. I handled the net to pull in whatever Dad caught, but that day we spent most of our time trying to keep from getting our fishing lines hung in the weeds and keeping the troll motor from getting stuck in the mud. It was interesting to be out with Dad since Dad and I did not spend a lot of time together in those days. Dad worked from early in the morning to late in the afternoon and I was at school during the day and at football and track practice until late in the day. At night we seemed to also be on different schedules, in fact I am not sure what we did that kept us from being able to do things together, guess it was that teenager thing. Dad was good to me and I loved him but the fishing and hunting thing was not my thing in those days. Once Dad and Charley got fishing in their mind they went nuts and purchased a fishing boat. Yes, they went out and bought a fishing boat and Dad kept the boat in our garage. I was horrified when I heard they had bought a boat and we were keeping it in our garage. I had that mental picture of one like we had been in weeks earlier which had been an old green or silver flat bottom boat with two fishing seats on it and a large funny looking troll motor mounted on the front. Dad took me out to show me the boat; he was so proud of since he wanted me to be happy with the boat. Dad opened the garage door and there it was, a boat that was nothing like the boat I had been in earlier. Dad had bought a sleek, light blue, stated of the art fishing boat, with a 55 horsepower inboard outboard motor on the rear, collapsible troll motor on the front, depth finder, fish tank, cooler tank, and the boat could seat 6! I was in shock, this was a ski boat modified to be a fishing boat. This boat had possibilities and I was ready to use it, once I learned how to pilot a boat! Never made it out fishing with Dad again but I did manage to take the ski boat out on Lake Waco several times as a ski boat and not a fishing boat. I did not ski much but did sport about the lake in Dads high powered fishing boat. Have no idea how I learned to pilot the boat, am sure Dad must have taught me how to drive the boat (Mother taught me how to drive a car and that is a wild story also) but for some reason that memory has not surfaced yet. Dad had his fishing moments and he and his partner went fishing together for several years on Lake Waco, Lake Whitney and even took several trips to the Gulf of Mexico and they had fun and enjoyed being fisherman! Dad loved to cook on the outdoor barbeque, cook stakes and FISH and he had plenty of fish in those days since he was a good fisherman. Not sure why Dad and Charley got over the fishing phase but after about four years they were done with it and sold the boat and as far as I know never made it out fishing again
Posted by Robert Busby on 17th January 2015
Quail Hunt When I was young Dad decided I should learn how to hunt quail. This was an interesting concept since we did not own any weapons at the time or at least I did not know we owned any weapons. I also had never heard Dad talk about hunting and did not remember him ever going hunting. Dad convinced me I would love going hunting with him and others for something called Quail. One day Dad showed up with what he called a 4-10 shot gun along with a large pump shot gun. I have no idea where he got either of them; they were not new and appeared to have been used a lot. Dad showed me how to use them both without firing either of them. The next weekend Dad and I and several other men went out to the outskirts of town to hunt Quail. We parked the vehicles and obtained the weapons from the trunks of the cars and then walked in a line across a large field waiting for the Quail to fly up in front of us. I thought this was a crazy idea since no smart bird would wait on us to walk up on them and then fly up in front of us for us to shoot them. It seems Dad knew what he was talking about and it was not long before birds were flying up in front of us as we walked up on them and we all took turns shooting at the birds. The birds did not have a chance since we were well armed and they were way to slow. In about an hour we all had our limit whatever that was and were on our way back to the cars when a large flock of birds flew in towards us out of the sun. One of the men yelled they were doves and that we could also shoot them. We all took aim and fired at the birds flying at us from the sun. No one but me hit any of the birds; I hit four of them and was very happy that I was able to shoot anything since I was not a hunter. Dad and I walked over to where the doves had fallen and then determined I had shot four pigeons! Yep, I was now a pigeon killer, we were not supposed to shoot pigeons, but hey, they looked like doves coming in out of the sun like that. I was not all that happy about shooting birds anyway and this pigeon thing cinched the fact that I was not a hunter. Dad was happy that I at least tried the hunting thing and that we did have time to talk and learn a little about each other out in the wilds of Central Texas on the hunt for Quail and devious but unlucky pigeons. I should have decided to never hunt again but Dad would later talk me into going dove hunting and that was fun, we learned even more about each other, we both shot our limit of doves, but then there were those frogs that got in the way, but that is another story!
Posted by Robert Busby on 17th January 2015
The Outing...1960s Way back in the day, my Dad and I took some time to get out and about for some Father and Son time hunting ducks. Dad worked most of the time and I was off doing who knows what so we did not spend a lot of time together when I was growing up, but off and on in the 1960s Dad and I tried hunting and fishing together so we could spend some quality time together. Dad was a hunter and fisher but I was more of a lover and a sports kind of guy...fishing boats, lures, poles, nets, shot guns and ammo were not really my thing. Fishing bored me more than I can say but I went to be with Dad and Dad had a great time while I handled the net and maneuvered the boat about the lake and the river. Hunting was different and I had more fun shooting than netting the fish Dad caught. One day we were out in the duck blind and a flock of ducks came in low and fast with the sun behind them and flew toward the pond we were sitting adjacent to. I fired twice and two ducks fell into the pond and are wetland and I was real happy I got two ducks before anyone else. Walked out to the water and retrieved the ducks and brought them back and Day pointed out ducks do not have leg bands, they were registered pigeons. How the heck was I to know but I was going to be ready when the next wave came in, this time I would wait till everyone else fired and then I would fire. The next wave of real ducks came in low over the water, everyone fired and then I fired. Everyone went to get their kills, I went to the area I fired to find my two ducks escaped but where they should have been there were five dead frogs! Yep, I had killed five frogs and no ducks, so after half the day of hunting I had two dead registered doves, and five frogs. Dad said, hey frogs are a good kill, these were very large frogs, the frogs were hung over a limb to take home later. When I went to get the five frogs, they were gone, apparently they were just out cold from the blast and not dead. Not all our outings turned out like this, but we still had some quality time together and I learned I was a better jock than hunter and fisher...smiles and frowns.
Posted by Robert Busby on 13th January 2015
Today is my Mother's birthday (Maudy Beatrice (Bea) Dagley Busby) and could not celebrate her birthday without celebrating my Father also. Mother and Dad were a great couple and lived and loved life together and seemed to enjoy their life together. Missing you Dad and Mother.

Leave a Tribute