Count Coolout Hip Hop Pioneer

Shared by Educated Voices on April 10, 2021
Count Coolout, born and raised on the mean streets of NYC, was one of the first five rap artists in the game. He began in late 1979 as a dancer and background vocalist for Jimmy Super Rhymes Spicer. Then in 1980 Count went on to release his first solo song Rhythm Rap Rock. This song was so ahead of its time that many in the business had no idea as to how to market it. As such, the record was basically just put on the store shelves. Much to everyones surprise...that was all they needed to do. For the song charted practically overnight on all the major charts, including Cashbox and Billboard. In 1981 Count went on to release the successful follow up Here To Stay on WMOT Records out of the Philadelphia area.

The day I met the man I married.

Shared by Marlyn Palomino on April 9, 2021
I will never forget the day I met James. I was waiting on my sister to let me in her building but she was not at home. I saw this guy came out and  asked me if I wanted to get let in. I explained to him I am waiting on sister as she was also living in that building. He proceeded to have a conversation with me. He had a handsome face and the aura around him was peaceful. We talked for a while and my sister arrived. I was traveling with baggage and he asked can he help to take them upstairs. I said yes  I promised I would make him some Jamaican food for his kindness. The next day I did just that. We went for a walk in the park. The next day he asked me to marry him and I said yes. We had a son together a year after.  During our marriage we had a lot of ups and downs. We separated six years after and was divorced in 1998. I left New York with our son and lived in Atlanta. After the divorce I tried to stay in touch with James for the sake of our son but he was never available. He was always on the run. After years of trying I finally gave up. In 2018 after almost 20 years I received a friend request on FB. It was James. He said he had been trying to find me but was unsuccessful. He went on to say he had two strokes and is paralyzed on the right side of his body. I could hear from the sound of his voice that he was ill. He claimed he had no one to take care of him even though he was married  to a woman in Texas. He said he was in Florida staying with friends. His son wanted to know his dad so we drove to Florida  to see him. I was shocked, this was not the man I marry or the man that divorced me. He was in trouble. I took him back to my home where I along with his son took care of him until March 27th when God called him home. This would be a nice ending if we would have kept our vows. Till death do us part! 

Share a story

Illustrate your story with a picture, music or video (optional):