It is with tremendous sorrow and thanks for her life that we announce Linda’s passing Thursday morning, February 7, 2019 surrounded by her loving husband and children. There will be a celebration of life ceremony held April 28th, 2019 at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Bremerton, Washington. 

If you would like to make a donation in Linda's honor please consider the following charities:

Posted by Sarah Manlove on July 31, 2022
I still miss you mom- so much. I hope you are frolicking in a forest somewhere.
Posted by Sarah Manlove on February 8, 2021
I miss you so much mom, it's been 2 years... and I will love you forever.
Posted by Thomas Beernink on February 9, 2020
I think of Linda often. She helped me succeeded on a difficult 2 year long project and taught me skills I use to this day. I miss her encouragement and wisdom.
Posted by Sarah Manlove on February 8, 2020
Hi Mom, One year ago today you went to the great beyond. I miss you and think about you every day. Lately I keep thinking about what we used to joke about- 'putting our big girl pants on'- I'm trying to do that although not always succeeding very well. When I get down on myself about that I remember how you used to tell me 'stop beating up my daughter' and it makes it a little bit easier to put those pants on. Thanks for being the best mom that ever lived. We were so blessed to have you in our lives. I will love you forever and beyond. Your daughter, Sarah
Posted by Eva Luursema on February 7, 2020
Posted by Eva Luursema on April 30, 2019
Love, compassion, trees - in great abundance
This I remember and treasure
Posted by Linda Mahnken on April 27, 2019
I’ve known Linda Manlove since I was about 13. She’s always been incredibly supportive of me both personally and professionally. She supported my close friendship with Sarah which has been an incredible treasure even though we only lived in the same location a very short time. She also launched me on my career that I still love.
Posted by Thomas Beernink on April 27, 2019
I met Linda when I took a post retirement job working with a team editing and updating training plans for the Navy. As a key member of the team, Linda helped me get organized and overcome some confidence issues. She taught me computer and software skills that directly contributed to the success of the project. We became good friends and I always loved stopping by for a visit and a chat. Knowing Linda has been a blessing and enriched my life in many ways.
Posted by Janneke Luursema on April 26, 2019
A few years ago we (Janneke, Michiel & our children Tessel, Ben and Koen) visited Port Orchard to attend to the wedding of Sarah and Jan-Maarten. Linda and Jim made us feel very welcome without being overwhelming and we really appreciated that. We had the most wonderful time, and the children did as well. They still talk about how great our stay with Linda and Jim has been.
We feel Linda genuinely seemed interested and really tried getting to know us. She made us feel part of the family and even made an effort to learn Dutch. Linda also appeared to us as a wise person who cared a lot about the development and education of children.
We are thankful we had a chance to know her.
Posted by Sarah FitzPatrick on April 26, 2019
Linda's last email to me in 2015 was to say 'LAST FILE FOR A BIT... HAVE FUN!'. It was her 13th email with patterns for home-made American Girl costumes for my daughter. I was so fortunate to meet Linda as my friend, Sarah's Mum, in the late 90's. We were knee-deep in graduate study. I marvelled at Linda's ability to engage in major issues one moment and something apparently minor the next. But nothing seemed trivial or minor to Linda. She had a wonderful appetite for all of life. She gave so much of herself to others. I remember her wonderful generosity of spirit. Rath Dé ar a anam dílis. (Blessings of God on her beautiful soul).
Posted by Mary Day on April 25, 2019
I first met Linda at my grandparents' (Mary and Robert Manlove Sr.) house in Jacksonville, Ill. I was about 9, and Linda was a twenty-something flurry of energy with strawberry blonde hair and a smile that lit the room. She had a gift for bestowing her full attention and all the warmth that came with it. Linda and my uncle Jim have offered me and my family support and belonging in so many ways. We are so very grateful for Linda's presence in our lives.
Posted by Jan Lightner on April 23, 2019
In 1977 when we moved to Federal Way, I knew no one. Linda was volunteering at the neighborhood elementary school and called me when my daughter (in Sarah's class) had some difficulty - a bully had mistakenly attacked the wrong little girl. I asked Linda if Jill was OK. Yes. How about the bully...sobbing in the principal's office. We laughed, became instant friends, co-Brownie Scout leaders, and stayed in touch no matter where her family moved or our family moved. She was one of the most kind and gracious and courageous women I've ever known. She is greatly missed.
Posted by Robert Manlove on April 16, 2019
(from Ruth)
I have so many cherished memories of Linda, I hardly know where to start.  I first met her (and Jim, Jim Jr and Sarah) in 1969 at my parents’ house in Endwell, New York. They were living near Albany and had driven through a snowstorm to be there. Over the years and moves to their many houses, we shared so much. For one thing, we had both married Manlove guys, and we often shared stories: one time, I confided in her that Bob had expressed disapproval when I bought a red dress. “Married women don’t wear red,” he had said. She matched that with a story about Jim’s reaction when she got a haircut that he didn’t like. “Married women don’t show their ears.” 
  But the thread that stands out most for me down through the years is our love of sewing, especially quilting.  Linda loved making other people happy, and she made quilts for our daughters when they were very young. When we got together, we would share our guilt over the size of our fabric stashes, as well as our current projects and plans.
I don’t remember which house they were living in when Linda presented me with 2 beautiful matching quilt tops in 1930’s fabrics that she had found in a rag bag at a local flea market. Astonished at this find, and not wanting to cheat the seller, she had held them up and said she had found them in the rag bag. She said the man turned to her indignantly and said, “Yes, and they’re 50 cents each!” How we gloated over that find! For the next few years, I spent Sunday mornings handquilting those two quilt tops while my family listened to Prairie Home Companion. We gave one quilt back to Linda and Jim, and kept the other, along with all the lovely memories it evokes.
Then, some years ago, Linda showed me a collection of quilt tops that her friend Dwayne had collected, and she asked me if I could quilt one for use in Steve and Susan’s cabin in Arizona. I agreed and chose one, but by the time I had retired and had enough time, I also had arthritis, so the quilt top hung in my closet and my guilt over procrastinating grew. Finally, when Linda passed, I pulled the quilt top out of my closet and decided to fulfill her idea in time for this memorial.  I had it machine-quilted, and hemmed it, and it’s beautiful. Linda would be so pleased. And I was given another memory of her to treasure.
Posted by Robert Manlove on April 16, 2019
(from Bob)
One of Linda’s many lovable personal characteristics was her empathy and steadfast desire to help those in need. And, on some conscious or subconscious level, she knew that this included everyone in reach. It is an understandable tendency in humans to save their empathy for the immediate family but not Linda. If she could reach someone, related or not, she wanted to try to help. Of course, Linda had needs of her own. But, if such were suggested, she would react as if to say, “Pshaw! These are nothing compared to the needs of other people.” 
I think particularly of Linda reaching out to help Mom. Now, growing old is hard work for everyone but especially for my mom. My father died in in 1975 and this put before her the struggle of living alone for what turned out to be 30 years. Inevitably, the struggle becomes too hard to bear and so it should not have been a surprise when we all found she was living with a substantial population of cockroaches and rodents. Linda knew what to do; she packed her car full of cleaning supplies and empty boxes and drove 80 miles back and forth multiple times to take charge of the situation. Linda soon took mom back with her to Morris, Illinois, where she and Jim were living.
This was a shining example of Linda’s life. Her altruistic spirit that was demonstrated with my mother can be seen in her relationships with many, many others. In her heart, she held fast to the belief that nurturance is deeply and permanently equated with being human. To know, befriend, or love people requires helping and caring for them just as helping and caring for people required knowing, befriending, and loving them.
Posted by Gerdy Bijleveld on April 2, 2019
I remember Linda as a warm, welcoming and generous woman, enjoying to make contact with others. I will never forget how she repeatedly said to me that her daughter Sarah and my son Jan-Maarten are "such a good couple". I agree! Therefore, I add a photograph that was taken at their wedding.
Posted by Marja Bijleveld on March 31, 2019
I remember Linda as a very welcoming and warm person, with a keen interest in other people and she especially loved to hear about the youngest generation, in my case my grandchildren. A special memory: in spite of all her physical discomfort she made this lovely and really big pink Dolphin for one of my granddaughters and had it shipped all the way to the Netherlands. If anything, Linda knew how to give meaning to her life and I admire her for it.
Posted by Sarah Manlove on March 17, 2019
She was the best mother, friend and person that ever could have been. I will always consider myself so incredibly lucky to have had such a mother. She taught me generosity, grace, and many more lessons I still struggle to apply in her example.

Leave a Tribute

Recent Tributes
Posted by Sarah Manlove on July 31, 2022
I still miss you mom- so much. I hope you are frolicking in a forest somewhere.
Posted by Sarah Manlove on February 8, 2021
I miss you so much mom, it's been 2 years... and I will love you forever.
Posted by Thomas Beernink on February 9, 2020
I think of Linda often. She helped me succeeded on a difficult 2 year long project and taught me skills I use to this day. I miss her encouragement and wisdom.
her Life

Life Overview

Linda was born in Bellingham WA, entering the life of a military family with deployments around the world in the wake of a world at war. This included living in U.S. Army bases in Washington, California, North Carolina, Georgia and Tokyo Japan. The family eventually returned to Western WA, where Linda graduated from Tumwater High School in 1962.

While participating as a high school representative in Olympia’s 1962 Lakefair celebration, Linda met the love of her life, Lt. JG James Manlove, who was part of the Navy’s delegation to Lakefair and the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair. After a year at Western Washington University, Linda joined her family in Decatur GA where Jim and Linda married in Aug. 1964. The young couple started their family in upstate New York, welcoming son James Manlove Jr. and daughter Sarah Anne Manlove. The family returned to Western Washington in 1973, and following her husband’s career set up households in Federal Way and Puyallup Washington, San Francisco, and then Morris, Illinois in 1983. In 2000 the couple returned to Washington upon her husband’s retirement and settled in Port Orchard, Washington.

Linda was passionate about education and children. In 1976 while her children were still in school she completed her bachelor’s degree in education from Central Washington University.It was during this period that Linda worked tirelessly as a volunteer in the education system of her children and actively participated in campaigns for levy votes to increase educational spending in our public education system. While in San Francisco Linda set up and maintained a literacy and reading center at Burlingame Intermediate School. She continued teaching elementary school in Morris, Il and pursued a Masters degree in education from Northern Illinois University and eventually achieved the level of all but dissertation status towards her doctoral degree. Upon leaving public education Linda pursued a career as an instructional designer working with a variety of industries including the U.S. Navy.

Throughout her life Linda was fascinated with computers and was an early adopter of them, studying and designing some of the earliest curricula and training materials that sought to use computers to better education and advancement for others.Throughout her life she applied her knowledge of education, child development, and instructional design and passed it on to as many people as she could in any situation she found cause to do so; from mentoring co-workers, to her children’s friends, to her caregivers.

In addition to her educational accomplishments, Linda was an accomplished home renovator and seamstress. Over the many homes Linda set up and lived in, she renovated them almost single handedly and always made them a home where family and friends felt welcome. Linda always sought to use her many talents for others across many venues; from making over fifty raggedy Anne and Andy dolls for sale to support educational causes in North Carolina, to the end of her life when she developed low cost copyright free educational materials, crafts, and toys for teachers in public education who could not afford them.

Above all Linda was dedicated to her family, both her husband and children and that of her extended family. She always sought to include, with love and generosity those who came into her life. She was a dedicated caregiver to her mother, mother-in-law, brother, three sisters-in-law, and step-father. She welcomed into her home and cared deeply for her many in-laws, nieces, nephews, step-children, grandchildren and their extended family. She is predeceased by her mother Sarah Ennen (nee Williams), father Edward Carson, step-father Gene Ennen, her brother Thomas Ennen and sisters-in-law Susan Ennen as well as Betsy Manlove and Marilyn Manlove. In addition to her loving husband James Coulter Manlove Sr. Linda is survived by her son James Coulter Manlove Jr. and spouse Tracy Manlove and her daughter Sarah Anne Manlove and spouse Jan-Maarten Luursema.

Recent stories
Shared by William Curtis on April 25, 2019

I met Linda at Tumwater High school the first year that the high school opened in 1961. We were both seniors. Her locker was near mine at the brand new school. We shared one class together, but we often met at our lockers to socialize. Once she asked me if I had any wheat cent pennies. I looked at my change in my pocket. I had several Lincoln Memorial pennies. I figured she was short of money so I offered them to her. She laughed and told me she didn't want my money, but she was collecting wheat cent pennies because they stopped making them in 1959. She figured that they would increase in value so she started hoarding them. I thought about this and decided to keep all the wheat cent pennies I found too. I kept them in a coffee can. I still have that coffee can today full of wheat cent pennies that I have collected over the last fifty-eight years. A few years ago I asked a coin dealer what the value of these pennies were. He told me most were about two or three cents each which would not have been a good retirement investment!

Linda asked me to go to the very first dance held at Tumwater High School. It was a tolo. The theme was "Dogpatch" so she dressed as Daisy Mae and I as Lil Abner. I had just gotten my driver's license so this might have been my first date driving my parent's car. My mother told me that it was appropriate to give a female date a corsage. I couldn't afford a real corsage so since the theme was "Dogpatch", I went out to the garden and picked some plants and made Linda a corsage made out of vegetables (lettuce, carrot, bean, peas, etc.). I don't remember what Linda said about it, but I do remember her mother laughing and laughing about it. 

In January I took Linda to the school's first real prom. At the end of the school year after graduation ceremonies many of the seniors were invited to Linda's house where we sat around a fire pit swapping stories, singing and reminiscing. That Fall I went to the University of Washington. Linda went to Western. We corresponded occasionally until I got a letter where she talked only about some guy named Jim. I didn't hear from her again until a few years later telling me she married this guy and was living in Georgia. 

I did not hear from Linda for another fifteen years or so. One day around Christmas in the mid eighties my mother brought to me a Christmas card that was sent to her by Linda. Linda had no idea where I was or that I had gone to grad school, married, taught and coached in Illinois for five years, and had returned to Olympia to teach at Olympia High School. Linda's card had an address that caught my attention. It was from Morris, Illinois. I had never heard of Morris and had to look it up on a map. I wrote back to her and got her up caught on my life since college days. I don't think I heard back from Linda again after that. 

As chairman of the Washington State Latin teachers I attended twenty-four National Junior Classical League conventions taking students to compete. In the late nineties I drove to the convention that year at North Dakota State University. I drove an old Minnie Winnie to camp in along the route. After the convention I wanted to visit relatives in Minnesota and Wisconsin and visit places in Illinois where I used to live and go to Indiana University where I went to grad school. After seeing my relatives I planned my route to avoid going into Chicago by taking I-39 south. Having by passed Chicago I noticed an intersection up ahead with a stop light which I thought was odd for a freeway. The light had just turned red. While waiting for it to turn green, I noticed a large green sign pointing to the left that said "Morris". That sounded familiar to me. Just as the light turned green I remembered that is where Linda's address on the Christmas card was from so I turned left and headed to Morris. I had no idea where she lived. I didn't have her address, and I couldn't even remember her last name. As I drove into the city limits, I stopped a small grocery store and asked if they had a phone book. As I looked in the book, I remembered her last name was Man something. So I looked up in the "M"s and found "James Manlove". "That's it" I exclaimed! I wrote down the address and asked the proprietor if he knew where this address was. He told me it was just two blocks away, turn right, and the house was about two or three blocks down the street. So I drove there thinking she might be at work or doing errands, but I took a chance. I drove by the house and noticed the three story structure that looked like a railroad baron's house. One problem! There was a "For Sale" sign in the front yard. Maybe they had moved. I decided to go and ring the doorbell anyway. Upon the second ring Linda opened the door. I recognized her right away. She was obviously order and more mature looking, but then maybe so was I. I told her I was driving by and saw the for sale sign in the yard and ....She interrupted me to ask if I saw what was written underneath the for sale sign which said "By Appointment Only". Now what do I do? I asked her if she wanted to buy a set of encyclopedias. She started to shut the door in my face! Then I asked her if she would like to buy some Avon products. By now she was really getting upset and was about to slam the door in my face. I finally asked her if she would be interested in buying an Olympia Lake Fair button. She froze! Only she would know what that referred to for she was the Tumwater princess at the Olympia 1962 Lake Fair summer event. Finally I said "You don't recognize me, do you"? She stared at me and shook her head. I finally said "I am Bill Curtis, Tumwater 1962". She threw the screen door open and jumped into my arms and gave me a big hug. There were tears in her eyes as well as mine. She gave me a tour of the house and took me to lunch at a pizza deli place where we visited for over three hours. I didn't know time could pass so quickly. Before I left Linda told me that she and Jim were planning to move back to the Northwest to the Puyallup area. I didn't hear from Linda for a few more years. She finally wrote and told me they had settled in Port Orchard on a lake. We got to visit her twice at this home. In 2002 I invited Linda and Jim to our house as I was having a gathering of friends for the Tumwater High School fortieth anniversary. About twenty people attended. Linda had not seen most of these people since graduation night in 1962. 

I didn't hear much from Linda after that, but around 2010 she did write to tell me that her daughter Sarah had received a two year internship at the Kelly School of Business at Indiana University. That Fall I retired and flew back to IU and did a several day nostalgic trip. While there I looked up Sarah, found her office, introduced myself, and had lunch with her twice. I was taken aback when Sarah told me many stories her mother had told her about me! I didn't ask what stories were about! Sarah told me she was getting married and invited me right there to her wedding which took place a couple of years later in Poulsbo, Washington. Linda was at the wedding. It was sad to see her in a wheel chair, but I do remember the look of pride, joy, and fondness on her face to see her daughter getting married. This was the last time I saw or heard from Linda, but I have kept in touch with Sarah.

I often wonder what would have happened if that light on the freeway in Illinois had not turned red. I probably would have driven past and not have noticed the sign pointing to Morris. I may not have renewed my friendship with Linda or met Sarah.

Letting Linny Out

Shared by Sarah Manlove on April 17, 2019

Mom steadfastly loved her brother Tom and he her.  Only 11 months apart Mom would describe how as babies Tom first figured out how to get out of his crib and then would come over and let 'Linny' out.  

White Gingham, Puyallup

Shared by Sarah Manlove on April 17, 2019

When I was around 8 or 9, I remember mom was finishing up her student teaching.  We were living in Puyallup Washington.  I got off the bus as usual, and mom came rushing out of the house to give me a hug and when I went into my bedroom- she had completely redecorated it while I'd been away at school.  A canopy bed and bedspread, pillows and curtain all in pink and white gingham print- made by her.  I was over the moon with excitement- being the little girl I was- the little girl mom helped me be, and allowed me to be- so I could be the woman I became with this kind of love and security under my feet.  I'm so incredibly grateful for this memory and for her love in my life.