his Life

Ramon Marrero - Beloved Husband and Father

My grandmother was a country girl from Puerto Rico moving to New York City speaking no English. A relative introduced her to my grandfather and they ended up having a bunch of kids. My grandfather died fairly young; I'm sad that I never met him.

My dad could have ended up as a New York Puerto Rican stereotype; however, the Federal government showed him a different path. During the Korean War, the U.S. Navy found he had an aptitude for math (I definitely didn’t inherit it!) and trained him to be a radio operator. He still remembers Morse Code! Dad ended up on the Admiral’s Flag Ship off the coast of Korea and saw how officers were treated. My dad wanted a career in the Navy, but an accident while driving a jeep left him discharged.

Dad saw a different kind of lifestyle in the Navy and it motivated him to leave New York and make something of himself. My dad took advantage of the G.I. Bill and went to U.S.C. and studied accounting. Think about this for a moment . . . Here was this shy little Puerto Rican kid from New York City. His only experiences outside of New York City was through the Navy. Now he was going to the same school as his officers would have attended. Let me see--How many Puerto Ricans attended USC during the late 50’s?

He graduated USC (he was a couple of years behind fellow Alum, John Wayne) and tried to work for the FBI as an accountant (The FBI still wants Accountants and Attorneys). The FBI rejected him (Thanks Grandpa!). However, he ended up with the Department of the Navy as an Auditor. We moved around the country and Dad worked his way up the government pay grades and finally ended up making a wonderful life in San Diego for mom, my brother, and I.

Dad was a great guy and only wanted the best for Mom and my brother and I. He worked so hard to provide us with a great life. Dad had a great sense of humor and really cared about people. Dad also like dancing and Salsa Music.

In 2015, our family's life was forever altered with my Dad's decline due to Alzheimer's. Despite being trapped in a body that slowly stopped working, I could still see the man I loved inside. Sometimes Dad would recognize me . . . sometimes 

One of my happiest memories happened when I came to see Dad after my flight from Japan. When I entered his hospital room, Dad's eyes light up and he reached out when he saw me. 

I want to thank all of our friends and family who visited Dad during the final days of his life. Also, I am forever grateful to the nurses and staff of Sharp Grossmont Hospital (La Mesa). They did their best to make Dad comfortable and treated us visitors with respect. I have a special shout out for Nurse Cassie--she was with Dad at the end and let me know right away. Dad went to sleep and he was at peace and wasn't in pain.

My Uncle Jesu said Dad's spirit has been released from his shell and I like that. I owe everything to this man. I will never forget my Dad and I am so proud to be his son and I hope he was proud of me. 

Dad was a good man who lived a good life.