Let the memory of Odis be with us forever
  • 54 years old
  • Born on September 15, 1928 .
  • Passed away on April 18, 1983 .

This memorial website was created in the memory of our loved one, Odis Lee (Leander) Hopper, 54, born on September 15, 1928 and passed away on April 18, 1983. We will remember him forever.

 Odis was born in Middlesboro, Kentucky, Bell County. He was raised in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. Things were hard for the family as he grew up, but there were always somebody around to show them how much they were loved. Odis went to school right there in the Gap and helped his father in the woodworking shop. He learned to be quite an accompolished crafts man. Granddaddy wanted Odis to go to college and he went in the front door at Lincoln Memorial University(LMU). He found out it wasn't what he wanted and 3 days later walked out the back door. Odis went straight to the recruiting office and enlisted in the United States Air Force(1950). It was then he legally changed his middle name and started having everyone call him Lee.

Lee was sent to Langly Air Force Base  in Texas where he went to school and learned to be a radio tech on the airplane. He graduated in the class of 1951 and was sent to his first duty station. Lee spent the next year traveling with his squadrin to different places. One of the places was England. We have found  some pictures taken there, it looked so funny to see Lee on a motorcycle in a uniform.

Lee was  stationed in Savannah, Georgia where he met the love of his life Miss J. Louise Moore on October 13th, 1952.The blind date didn't happen, Louise stood him up so she could get her laundry done but Lee went and found her. They started spending a lot of time together when he wasn't working. Before the first month was over he was asking Louse to marry him, but she wasn't ready. After 4 months Lee decided to ask one more time, it  was January 13th, 1953. Louise said yes. They got married on the 31st because it was payday. Lee took his bride and her matron of honor out to Johnny Harris's Resturant then took her  home to meet his family.

Lee  had some problems with what they thought was inner ear and he was taken off the plane. He stayed in the service and changed his (MOS) job to being in supply. Lee and Louise had 3 children during the 20 years "Lee" was in the Air Force.  After Lee returned from Vietman he and Louise decided it was time for him to retire. They then moved to Savannah , Ga. where they bought a piece of land and built a beautiful brick home. Lee and Lou started attending Chevis Oaks Baptist Church where Lee was on the building committee and was later ordained as a decon. Lee served as a decon until his death April 18th, 1983. Lee was burried at Hillcrest Abby West.

Posted by April Boyles on 29th July 2012
Papa I know I didn't get to know you and I hope I do when I get to heven with you. But from all the storys I have heard, you sound like a great man. I will always remember piggy back rides and holding on to your ears.
Posted by Donna Knight on 11th July 2012
Daddy you may be gone from this world, but one day were gonna meet up in heaven.

Leave a Tribute